Horrified to find a fluid-filled and inflamed cyst on your wrist, knee, or ankle joint? Well, there is nothing to fear as it is most probably a ganglion cyst. Although these cysts hardly cause trouble and usually go away on their own, in some cases, they can become quite painful and make joint movements difficult. To help those in distress, here are some of the best home remedies to treat ganglion cysts. Scroll down!
What Are Ganglion Cysts?
Ganglion cysts are round, fluid-filled lumps of tissues that usually appear along the tendons and joints. Although they usually occur in the wrist or hand, they can also appear on the ankle or foot.
Ganglion cysts can be about an inch large across. Some cysts can be easily seen underneath your skin, whereas the smaller cysts are not visible.
These cysts are usually accompanied by a series of signs and symptoms.
Signs And Symptoms Of Ganglion Cysts
• Discomfort and pain in the affected area
• Loss of mobility
• A tingling sensation
Some ganglion cysts may also become bigger or smaller with time. Are you wondering what causes this unpredictable condition? Let’s find out.
Causes And Risk Factors For Ganglion Cysts
As we have already discussed, ganglion cysts usually occur when there is fluid accumulation in the joint or around the tendons in your hands, wrists, ankles, or feet. This accumulation of fluid may be due to an injury, trauma, or even overuse of the body part.
Some factors can also increase your risk of developing ganglion cysts. They are:
• Sex and age – Ganglion cysts are more common in women aged between 20 and 40.
• Medical conditions like osteoarthritis
• Injured tendons or joints
If you doubt that you have developed a ganglion cyst, you can visit a doctor to confirm it via a test or diagnosis.
30 Ways On How To Treat A Ganglion Cyst Naturally
• I. Causes And Symptoms Of Ganglion Cyst
• II. Natural At-Home Remedies For A Ganglion Cyst
• 1. Arnica
• 2. Frankincense Oil
• 3. Turmeric Extract
• 4. Pencil Eraser
• 5. Warm Compress
• 6. Fresh Fruits And Vegetables
• 7. Mixture Of Borax, Epsom Salt, And Glycerin
• 8. Ginger
A ganglion cyst or synovial cyst, bible cyst or bible bump that is also known as a fluid-filled bump under the skin near a joint in some areas such as the wrist, knee, foot, shoulder, ankle, elbow, etc. The factor that decides the appearance of a ganglion cyst is the fluid leakage from the joint to its surroundings. Generally, a cyst is sized of about 2 cm and over time, and this size can even get increased. Nevertheless, about 30-50 % of ganglion cysts could go away by themselves. In case they cannot go away naturally, people should consider using some natural remedies.
• 10 Natural Home Remedies For Cysts On Face And Other Parts / 12 Ways On How To Treat Sebaceous Cysts Naturally At Home
How To Treat A Ganglion Cyst Naturally – Top 30 Natural Treatments To Apply
Now, it’s time for me to reveal some of the most effective tips on how to treat a ganglion cyst at home in details, so if you want to learn how to deal with your ganglion cyst at home, you should spend time reading this article.
I. Causes And Symptoms Of Ganglion Cyst
Although the exact cause of this cyst is still unknown, injuries, as well as tendon irritation, can contribute to the appearance of the ganglion cyst. Besides, any mechanical changes
When it comes to the common symptoms of a ganglion cyst, sufferers often experience discomfort and pain along with tingling and burning sensation, weakness, muscle cramps and numbness in some affected areas. Your ganglion cyst can be firm or soft and this may depend on the size it has.
Individuals between 15 and 40 are more likely to have a ganglion cyst and this may be especially true for women and gymnasts who provide their wrists with constant stress. People with osteoarthritis and people who have suffered tendon or joint trauma are more likely to experience this problem. Occasionally, children under 10 years old may develop this condition
II. Natural At-Home Remedies For A Ganglion Cyst
Actually, there are various useful tips you can use if you want to learn how to treat a ganglion cyst, such as surgery and home remedies. However, many people in the world prefer using home treatments rather than accepting a harmful surgery. If you are one of those who are looking for ways to clear ganglion cysts naturally, you can apply the natural treatments revealed below. They are quite efficient for mild to moderate ganglion cysts.
1. How To Treat A Ganglion Cyst – Arnica:
Arnica is used for getting rid of ganglion cyst because it contains anti-inflammatory properties that may contribute to the reduction of inflammation and make your ganglion cyst become less red and swollen. Besides, using arnica is also very good for glowing skin and removing toxins from your body. Addition to this, it is also effective in boosting the blood circulation, resulting in speeding up the process of healing. In the market, there are some different forms of arnica that you can easily choose to use, such as ointment, gel, capsules and topical cream. Simply, you just need to use a Q-tip to apply a thin layer of arnica over your ganglion cyst. However, in case you want to use an arnica capsule, you need to consult with your doctor and then follow his directions.
Alternatively, you can use arnica oil and then dilute it in coconut oil or olive oil with equal parts. Then, you apply this oil mixture to your ganglion cyst and then lightly massage it. Finally, you cover this affected area with a bandage. Repeat this way for 2-3 times daily within a couple of days.
Keep in mind that you have to do a small test before you use arnica as some people may be allergic or sensitive to it and then cause reactions.
Apart from home remedies as I mentioned earlier, there are also some other simple tips that you should follow if you want to treat a ganglion cyst  at the comfort of your own house:
• If you suffer from a ganglion cyst on the hand or wrist, avoid moving repetitively in these areas.
• If possible, you should use a brace or splint to keep the affected area in place.
• Ensure that if your ganglion cyst size is quickly increasing or it causes pain and inflammation for a long time, consult your doctor immediately.
2. How To Treat A Ganglion Cyst – Frankincense Oil
Frankincense oil can help you reduce your ganglion cyst size and simultaneously relieve the pain and inflammation caused by the ganglion cyst. Actually, this way is rather simple and easy to follow at home, so you should not skip out it.
• Firstly, you rub 2 drops of frankincense oil over your affected area.
• Then, you use a bandage to cover it. You also need to change the dressing after every 2 days for your cleanness.
• Follow this method about 14 days after your ganglion cyst is removed to ensure that it will not come back.
3. How To Treat A Ganglion Cyst – Turmeric Extract:
Turmeric extract is also known as an effective home remedy for treating ganglion cyst at home. It has positive effects on inflammation as well as pain that is caused by ganglion cyst. According to a study published in 2009, the curcumin found in turmeric can help you exhibit the anti-inflammatory activities effectively by regulating redox status, protein kinases, cytokines, adhesion molecules, enzymes as well as other transcription factors that are associated with inflammation.
A good quantity of your daily intake of turmeric intake is 400 – 600 mg. However, keep in mind that turmeric extract can increase the risk of bleeding. So, this is the reason why you should consult with your doctor first in case you are taking any of the blood thinning medications.
Alternatively, you can directly apply some fresh turmeric juice to your ganglion cyst for 2-3 times daily within a few days.
4. How To Treat A Ganglion Cyst With Pencil Eraser:
In case your ganglion cyst is so small, you can consider using a pencil eraser to treat it at home. Once you want to make use of this way, you have to ensure that the edges of the pencil eraser you are using must be rounded in order not to dig into your ganglion cyst. Actually, the way of using pencil eraser is rather simple and easy to follow. Here are the steps that you need to follow:
• Firstly, you have to cover all sides of your ganglion cyst with the pencil eraser.
• Then, you use a stretchy bandage or gauze to wrap around your ganglion cyst and keep this eraser in place.
• Finally, you can change the bandage or gauze after every 2 days.
5. How To Treat A Ganglion Cyst – Warm Compress:
Using warm compress is known as one of the popular ways on how to treat a ganglion cyst naturally. You can burst it or only use a clean washcloth soaked in lukewarm water. Use this warm compress and then apply directly to your ganglion cyst. This action can help you reduce your pain and inflammation caused by ganglion cyst.
6. How To Treat A Ganglion Cyst – Fresh Fruits And Vegetables:
Keep in mind that fresh fruits and vegetables are extremely rich in vitamins and minerals that can help you increase the immune system and simultaneously reduce the risk of developing constipation. By consuming fresh juice and vegetables, you can prevent the size of your ganglion cyst from increasing. Improving your immunity and overall health by consuming fresh fruits and vegetables frequently is very good for healing wound more quickly.
There are some other ways on how to treat a ganglion cyst at home in this entire article. Continue reading this article to discover them and then try to follow them for good!
7. Mixture Of Borax, Epsom Salt, And Glycerin:
The mixture of glycerin, Epsom salt and borax is also effective in lightening and curing a ganglion cyst at home. If you do not want to have a surgery for your ganglion cyst, you can make use of this mixture to avoid the painful surgical drainage.
• To prepare this mixture, you need to have 3 oz of warm glycerin, 1/8 tsp. of borax and ½ tsp. of Epsom salt.
• Then, you mix all of these items until they are completely dissolved.
• Use this mixture to cover your ganglion cyst with the help of a clean cotton swab.
• Next, you use a bandage to cover the area and use a medical tape to keep it in place.
• Repeat this remedy twice a day for the best results.
• Alternatively, if you want to know how to treat a ganglion cyst at home by using Epsom salt, you can try adding 1 tbsp. of Epsom salt to 1-2 cups of tepid water and then mix both of them together.
• Then, you soak the skin area where a ganglion cyst is present in this solution for about 20-30 minutes.
• Repeat this method once a day for a couple of days.
8. How To Treat A Ganglion Cyst – Ginger
According to some studies, ginger is comprised of anti-inflammatory properties that can be effective in reducing the pain and inflammation caused by ganglion cyst. Also, ginger extract is good at blocking the activity of Cox-2 that can contribute to the pain. In fact, there are some ways to make use of ginger for treating ganglion cyst such as adding more of the ginger to your diet or using ginger supplements. In case you want to use ginger supplements, you should only take 500 –1000 mg per day for 1-2 times.
Alternatively, you can make a ginger tea and then drink it for 2-3 times daily or add more ginger to your daily cooking. To make a cup of ginger tea, you just need to cut a fresh ginger piece about 1-inch size into some small slices and then place these ginger slices in a cup of boiling water. Then, allow it to simmer for about 10 minutes.
Home Remedies for Ganglion Cysts
Ganglion cysts, also known as Bible cysts or Bible bumps, are small, round sacs or lumps filled with a viscous synovial fluid.
The size of the lumps can range from pea-size to nearly an inch in diameter. They usually form over a joint or tendon in the fingers, wrists, ankles or soles of the feet.
The most common symptoms of a ganglion cyst are pain and discomfort along with tingling sensations, numbness or muscle weakness. Depending on the size, these cysts may feel firm or spongy.
The exact cause of developing ganglion cysts is not known, but any joint or tendon irritation or mechanical changes may trigger this problem.
These cysts are most common in people between the ages of 15 and 40, particularly women and gymnasts who repeatedly apply stress to the wrist.
In rare cases, they can occur in children younger than 10 years old. People suffering from osteoarthritis or those having a joint or tendon injury are also more likely to develop this problem.
Often, ganglion cysts heal with simple medications and home treatments, but in some cases surgical removal is considered the best option.
Here are the top 10 home remedies for ganglion cysts.
1. Warm Compresses
You can reduce the discomforts associated with a ganglion cyst with regular use of warm compresses. It will increase blood circulation to the affected area and promote fluid drainage. It will also reduce pain and swelling.
However, warm compresses will not prevent the growth of a cyst.
1. Soak a washcloth in warm water and wring out the excess water.
2. Put this warm cloth directly on the affected area for 5 to 10 minutes.
3. Repeat 3 or 4 times daily until the cyst is gone.
2. Black Tea Bags
The acidic property of black tea helps heal a ganglion cyst and prevents it from getting worse. The tea’s anti-inflammatory nature also provides relief from pain and swelling.
1. Dip a black tea bag in warm water for 5 minutes.
2. Remove it and squeeze out the excess water.
3. Hold the moist, warm tea bag over the affected area for 10 minutes.
4. Repeat a few times daily for several days.
3. Frankincense Oil
Frankincense oil is an effective astringent that can help reduce the size of a ganglion cyst and prevent it from recurring. It can also ease the pain.
1. Apply 2 drops of frankincense oil on your cyst.
2. Cover it with a soft, clean bandage.
3. Do this once daily, using a clean bandage each time, until the size has reduced. Continue applying the oil for a couple of weeks to reduce the risk of recurrence.
If your ganglion cyst is causing unbearable pain, you can use ginger to reduce it. The anti-inflammatory property of ginger helps ease the pain and discomfort.
A 2011 study published in The Journal of Fitoterapia suggests that ginger is an anti-inflammatory agent that blocks Cox-2 activity, which likely causes pain.
• Drink homemade ginger tea 2 or 3 times daily or include more ginger in your cooking. To make ginger tea, cut an inch of fresh ginger root into slices and simmer it in a cup of water for 10 minutes.
• Alternatively, you can take ginger supplements. Always consult a doctor before taking a supplement.
You can also use turmeric to relieve pain due to a ganglion cyst. This herb has positive effects on inflammation and pain.
A 2009 study published in The International Journal of Biochemistry & Cell Biology suggests that curcumin in turmeric exhibits anti-inflammatory activity by regulating cytokines, redox status, protein kinases, adhesion molecules, enzymes and many transcription factors associated with inflammation.
• Apply some fresh turmeric juice directly on the affected area 2 or 3 times daily for several days.
• Alternatively, you can take this herb in supplement form, daily. Always consult a doctor first, as it can increase the risk of bleeding if you take blood-thinning medications.
Echinacea increases the level of the properdine chemical in your body, which stimulates your immune system and helps shrink the ganglion cyst.
A 2002 study published in The Journal of Alternative Medicine Review notes that use of echinacea increased production of properdine.
• Buy over-the-counter echinacea ointment and apply it topically to the cyst. Repeat 2 or 3 times a day until you get rid of it completely.
• You can also drink a cup of echinacea herbal tea once or twice daily for not more than a week.
Note: People who have an autoimmune disorder should not take this herb internally